Also, I would like to ask for your prayers. My family is very excited because we just found out I am pregnant. Please pray for baby’s safety and health. Thank you!
Diocesan Respect Life Meeting – September 1st
The next Diocesan Respect Life Meeting will be Tuesday, September 1st at 6 pm at St. Pius X Catholic Church (3663 66th St, Urbandale, IA 50322). Come to learn more about the pro-life initiatives in Des Moines and how you can be a part of them.
Iowans for LIFE Open House – September 10th
After over 40 years, Iowans for LIFE is moving to a new location. You are welcome to come see their new location during their Open House on Thursday, September 10th from 5 – 8 pm. Join the party on the rooftop garden for refreshments. Bishop Pates will be there to do a special blessing at 7 pm. Their new address is 130 East 3rd Street Suite 101 Des Moines, IA 50309.
Life is Precious Conference – September 12th
The annual Life is Precious Conference will be on Saturday, September 12th, from 8:30 am – 1:00 pm at Christ the King Parish, Des Moines. Lunch is included. The topic this year will be End of Life Issues.
Dr. Janine Idziak, from the Dubuque Diocese, will be the guest speaker. She will speak about “how moral principles from the Catholic tradition can assist and guide you in making difficult end-of-life decisions which can affect infants, children, teens and adults of all ages. It will include interactive discussion of using/forgoing life-sustaining treatments, medically assisted nutrition and hydration, and palliative care and pain management."
"You will learn how to execute advance directives (living will, durable power of attorney for health care) and IPOST (Iowa Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment) in accord with Catholic principles. Why physician assisted suicide should not be legalized will be discussed. Participants will be provided with many materials to take home with them for future reference and use.”
National Day of Remembrance – September 12th
According to Priests for Life, on September 12th several pro-life organizations will sponsor the National Day of Remembrance. “On this day, simultaneous memorial services are held across our country at the gravesites of aborted children. There are dozens of such gravesites, some of them holding as many as 16,000 bodies. This common act of prayer witnesses to our society that we are truly living amidst a holocaust, and that the abortion debate is not simply about beliefs but about bloodshed, not simply about viewpoints but about victims. To find services near you, visit AbortionMemorials.com. ”
On their website, it looks like there aren’t any organized prayer services in Iowa. I recommend attending the Life is Precious event at Christ the King Parish in Des Moines (which is also on September 12th) and visiting their special Memorial Garden for lost unborn babies. This would be a good place to visit with your family and pray for victims of abortion on September 12th or any time.
40 Days for Life – September 23rd through November 1st
The Fall 40 Days for Life campaign will go from September 23rd through November 1st. Now is good time to start planning when and at which location your pro-life group will be prayerful witnessing.
Iowans for Life Banquet – October 1st
Save the date for the annual Iowans for LIFE Banquet on Thursday, October 1st, at the Holiday Inn on Fleur Drive, Des Moines. There will be social time at 6 pm and seating will begin at 6:30 pm. The guest speaker will be Dr. Ray Guarendi speaking on his pro-life convictions. Dr. Ray Guarendi is the father of 10 and a Catholic clinical psychologist, author, public speaker, and nationally syndicated radio and television host. Tickets are $50 per person or $500 per table of 8. This is definitely worth putting on your calendar. To register click HERE.
Life Chain – October 4th
Life Chain is an annual event, where hundreds of people gather to witness and pray along Merle Hay Road in Des Moines. It will be on Sunday, October 4th from 2:00 – 3:30 pm. There will be groups at different places on Merle Hay, but the one that I know of meets at St. Theresa’s Church (1230 Merle Hay Road, Des Moines). Signs are provided. The event will happen rain or shine. See you there!
New Details on Planned Parenthood Situation
This past couple months a lot has come to light with Planned Parenthood as videos continue to expose illegal activity. Here is some new information from the past month.
- Iowa had a very well attended rally earlier this month at the State Capitol Building to support defunding Planned Parenthood. Governor Branstad, Senator Joni Ernst, and others were there to show their support. My family and I were at the rally, and we heard that over 1,000 people were there.
- Five states have now defunded Planned Parenthood, and 13 states have started official investigations on the issue. Utah, Arkansas, Alabama, Kansas, and Louisiana have defunded Planned Parenthood. New Hampshire has also significantly cut funding.
- Some of these states are facing attacks in response. After Kansas defunded Planned Parenthood, President Obama penalized them for it by cutting their funding by the same amount. See article about it HERE. In Louisiana, Planned Parenthood has sued the state after Governor Bobby Jindal defunded Planned Parenthood. See article about the Louisiana situation HERE.
- On August 22nd, national protests of Planned Parenthood took place in 352 cities. Many protests had hundreds and some had thousands of protestors. The number of pro-lifers using Twitter to promote the protests caused the topic to be trending on Twitter.
- The Senate defeated the bill that would have defunded Planned Parenthood. Although a majority of Senators supported the bill (53 to 46), they did not reach the 60 votes needed. Grassroots needs to keep up the pressure, because the bill can be brought up at a later time.
See how your Senator voted, and send them an e-mail thanking them or expressing your disappointment. Iowa Senators Joni Ernst and Chuck Grassley both voted to defund Planned Parenthood – please call or e-mail them to thank them.
Quick Ways to Make a Difference
- Petition to defund Planned Parenthood: click HERE. Petition should automatically pop up. The petition has over 230,000 signers.
- Petition to defund Planned Parenthood: click HERE. It currently has more than 44,000 signers.
- Petition demanding that President Obama investigate Planned Parenthood: Go to http://investigatebigabortion.
com/. Click on the yellow box, “Demand an Investigation.”
- Petition to Congress to investigate Planned Parenthood's illegal activities: click HERE (has almost 30,000 signers).
- Send Messages to your Representatives to Watch the Videos Exposing the Abortion Industry: click HERE.
- Send messages to your Congress members to defund Planned Parenthood: click HERE, then scroll down to the “Take Action” link at the bottom of the page.
- Petition to CEOs of companies who support Planned Parenthood to please stop financially supporting them: click HERE. This petition currently has over 96,000 signatures. Money talks and many companies will listen.
- To see an article with the companies who donate directly to Planned Parenthood click HERE. There were several that surprised me.
Thanks for all that you do for love of life! God bless you and your work!
Rachel : )