Also, I’m sure that you have all seen/heard of the undercover videos that have gone public, exposing Planned Parenthood illegally selling the body parts of aborted unborn babies. Please see below for several ways that you can help reach out to legislators and companies to urge them to stop supporting Planned Parenthood. Quick ways to make a difference in one-minute or less are towards the bottom of the post, highlighted in yellow. Please also pray for the U.S. Senate vote on de-funding Planned Parenthood this coming Monday!
Iowans for LIFE and IRTL at the Iowa State Fair – August 13th
Iowans for LIFE and Iowa Right to Life will have booths at the Iowa State Fair again this year in the Varied Industries Building. Both will need volunteers to staff the booths from August 13th-23rd.
I have the information on how to volunteer for Iowans for LIFE, in case you are interested. And if you volunteer for a short, three-hour shift, you get a free ticket to the State Fair. It’s a win-win! The booth will be open from 9 am – 9 pm, and many shifts are available. There are always two or three volunteers at the booth (so volunteer with a friend!). In addition to the ticket, you will be provided with some training. If you would like to volunteer, e-mail Iowansforlife@msn.com.
If you won’t be able to volunteer, please still stop by the booths, check out the materials, and encourage the volunteers!
Nationwide Protest of Planned Parenthood Facilities – August 22nd
40 pro-life organizations are sponsoring a nationwide protest at Planned Parenthood facilities on August 22nd from 9-11 am. They are organizing rallies of prayer and holding pro-life signs in front of their local Planned Parenthood facilities “to call attention to PP’s baby parts trafficking.”
Their goal is to raise awareness of Planned Parenthood’s “heartless” activities, encourage sidewalk witnessing activities, and put pressure on the media and government to respond to Planned Parenthood’s illegal activities. The main sponsors are Created Equal, Pro-Life Action League, and Citizens for a Pro-Life Society.
I have not heard that there is a rally planned in Des Moines, but if your parish pro-life group could go together to one of their locations, every little bit helps.
Diocesan Respect Life Meeting – September 1st
The next Diocesan Respect Life Meeting will be Tuesday, September 1st at 6 pm at St. Pius X Catholic Church (3663 66th St, Urbandale, IA 50322). Come to learn more about the pro-life initiatives in Des Moines and how you can be a part of them.
Life is Precious Conference – September 12th
The annual Life is Precious Conference is scheduled to happen on Saturday, September 12th at Christ the King Parish, Des Moines. The topic this year will be End of Life Issues.
Dr. Janine Idziak, from the Dubuque Diocese, will be the guest speaker. She is a professor of Philosophy and the Director of the Bioethics Center at Loras College in Dubuque. According to the Archdiocese of Dubuque website, Dr. Janine “works with the Archdiocesan Medical-Moral Commission in applying Catholic moral teaching on issues in health care.” Her focus will be on end of life issues, with lots of practical tips.
I spoke with Jo Chafen, head of the Respect Life Committee at Christ the King, and they will have final time details available soon. She said to watch for information in the Catholic Mirror and your parish bulletins.
National Day of Remembrance – September 12th
According to Priests for Life, on September 12th several pro-life organizations will sponsor the National Day of Remembrance. “On this day, simultaneous memorial services are held across our country at the gravesites of aborted children. There are dozens of such gravesites, some of them holding as many as 16,000 bodies. This common act of prayer witnesses to our society that we are truly living amidst a holocaust, and that the abortion debate is not simply about beliefs but about bloodshed, not simply about viewpoints but about victims. To find services near you, visit AbortionMemorials.com. ”
On their website, it looks like there aren’t any organized prayer services in Iowa, but there are several in Illinois and nearby states. If that isn’t possible for you, Christ the King Parish in Des Moines has a special Memorial Garden for lost unborn babies. That might be a good place to visit with your family and pray for victims of abortion on September 12th (or any time).
40 Days for Life – September 23rd through November 1st
40 Days for Life has just announced the dates for the Fall 40 Days for Life campaign: September 23rd through November 1st. Now is good time to start planning when and where your pro-life group will be prayerful witnessing.
Iowans for Life Banquet – October 1st
Save the date for the annual Iowans for LIFE Banquet on Thursday, October 1st, at the Holiday Inn on Fleur Drive, Des Moines. There will be social time at 6 pm and seating will begin at 6:30 pm. The guest speaker will be Dr. Ray Guarendi speaking on his pro-life convictions. Dr. Ray Guarendi is the father of 10 and a Catholic clinical psychologist, author, public speaker, and nationally syndicated radio and television host. Tickets are $50 per person or $500 per table of 8. This is definitely worth putting on your calendar. To register click HERE.
Life Chain – October 4th
Life Chain is an annual event, where hundreds of people gather to witness and pray along Merle Hay Road in Des Moines. It will be on Sunday, October 4th this year. There will be groups at different places on Merle Hay, but the one that I know of meets at St. Theresa’s Church (1230 Merle Hay Road, Des Moines). Signs are provided. Please save the date. More details to come.
Petitions to Defund Planned Parenthood
This past month a lot has come to light with Planned Parenthood. While it is not particularly surprising to pro-lifers that many Planned Parenthood employees at all levels (including the highest levels) value money over people, a lot of the details are really disturbing. Below are some updates you may not have heard about, and many ways you can make a difference on the issue in under a minute!
- Pray for the vote in the Senate this coming Monday! According to Lifenews.com, Iowa Senator, Joni Ernst, is one of the leaders of a group that has created a new bill, S.1881, to de-fund Planned Parenthood. She will be a head person for the pro-life side of the debate.
- S.1881 would not only de-fund Planned Parenthood, “it takes the taxpayer dollars that had been slated for the abortion business and sends them to legitimate women’s health care. The bills transfers funding from Planned Parenthood and sends it to agencies that provides for women’s health services including relevant diagnostic laboratory and radiology services, well-child care, prenatal and postpartum care, immunization, family planning services including contraception, sexually transmitted disease testing, cervical and breast cancer screenings, and referrals.”
- Ten states have already started official investigations on the issue. I have not seen Iowa on that list, but, according to Iowa Right to Life, Governor Branstad has asked the Iowa Department of Public Health to review the legislative funding for women’s health and family planning to make sure that Iowa will not fund “abortions or operations related to abortion procedures.”
- Holly O’Donnell, who was involved in the procurement of baby organs from Planned Parenthood, is bravely speaking up. She will need support and prayer. Read more about her story HERE.
- Des Moines had a pro-life rally on July 28th to call for the de-funding of Planned Parenthood. I heard that it was well attended, and made the news. According to Students for Life, there were 65 “Women Betrayed” rallies on July 28th, attended by over 12,000 people!
- The Department of Justice has been asked by Democratic Congress members to investigate, instead of Planned Parenthood, the Center for Medical Progress who is exposing Planned Parenthood’s illegal practices with their undercover videos. Please pray for and support the Center for Medical Progress.
- Abby Johnson, former Planned Parenthood employee, wrote a letter to Dr. Nucatola sharing that she had also harvested baby parts and inviting Dr. Nucatola to come away from Planned Parenthood. Read the article HERE.
- Please take a minute or two to sign these petitions to defund Planned Parenthood. While people are still shocked, now is the best time to put pressure on legislators that Planned Parenthood does not need taxpayer money to support itself.
- Send messages to your Congress members to de-fund Planned Parenthood: click HERE, then scroll down to the “Take Action” link at the bottom of the page.
- Petition demanding that President Obama investigate Planned Parenthood: Go to http://investigatebigabortion.
com/. Click on the yellow box, “Demand an Investigation.”
- Petition to de-fund Planned Parenthood: click HERE. Petition should automatically pop up.
- Petition to Congress to investigate Planned Parenthood's illegal activities: click HERE (has almost 30,000 signers).
- Petition to de-fund Planned Parenthood: click HERE (has more than 20,000 signers)
- Send Messages to your Representatives to Watch the Videos Exposing the Abortion Industry: click HERE.
- Petition to CEOs of companies who support Planned Parenthood to please stop financially supporting them: click HERE.
According to Lifenews.com, several companies have already said they will/have stopped supporting Planned Parenthood, including Coca Cola, Xerox, Ford, American Express, and the American Cancer Society. For more information, see the article HERE.
To see an article with the companies who donate directly to Planned Parenthood click HERE. There were several that surprised me.
Prayers for Little Sisters of the Poor
According to a Lifenews.com article, the Catholic nuns, the Little Sisters of the Poor, filed paperwork in July with the Supreme Court to request the Court “take its case against the Obama administration, which is attempting to make it comply with the HHS mandate.” The Sisters were initially give a temporary stay on the mandate, but were not given an extension of the protection. Please pray that the Supreme Court would be reasonable and take the case and side with the Sisters, as it sided with Hobby Lobby. For more information, see the article HERE.
http://yellowhammernews.com/Thanks for all that you do to love life! God bless your efforts!